Granite State College is dedicated to sharing lessons learned about teaching and learning. Check out how our faculty and staff participate in communities of practice and advance the field of teaching and learning.
Have you engaged in outreach in relation to your courses at GSC and subject matter expertise? Have a teaching strategy you would like to share?
Help us share your good work by completing our online form.
Faculty participating in the recent Academic Technology Institutes have reason to be proud: the work done as a system on behalf of Open Education efforts was included in the 2018 EduCAUSE Horizon Report. Check it Out!
- GSC faculty members Elizabeth Reed and Julie Moser, along with a fellow colleague from Plymouth State University, published an article in EDUCause: Using a Course Start-Up Message to Improve Student Outcomes.
- Dr. Dennis Martino published an article in January 2018 in the Public Administration Times, "Is Your Organization Mentally Healthy?". Dr. Martino is a Graduate Studies lecturer and recipient of the 2016 GSC Distinguished Faculty Award.
- Julie Moser, MA, CAGS, Senior Lecturer and Director of Faculty Development, presented during the World Conference on Online Learning in Toronto, October 17-19, on the topic of developing and sustaining Online Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) in Higher Education.
Steve Covello, Rich Media Specialist for GSC, led a daylong NERCOMP workshop: "Teaching with Rich Media" which will be held on September 27, 2017 in Worcester, MA. https://nercomp.org/forms/meeting/Microsite/RichMedia,0
- An article was published in spring 2017 in the New Hampshire Journal of Education by Julie Moser, MA, CAGS, Senior Lecturer and Director of Faculty Development, on the topic of online professional communities.
- Joe Stehno, Ph.D. Lecturer in Communication and member of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, presented an educational session titled "Refresh your Listening Skills" on Nov. 5th, 2016 at the Toastmasters International District 45 Conference at St. Andrew's by-the-Sea, New Brunswick. This interactive workshop, attended by more than 70 Toastmasters, focused on having participants practice proven physical and psychological listening behaviors.
Reta Chaffee, Director of Educational technology for GSC, and Terri Winters (Director of Academic Technology, UNH) will present “Anatomy of a Statewide Initiative in Open Education” at the 28th Annual WCET Conference in Minnesota, October 12-14, 2016. #WCET16
- Liz Gauffreau, Senior Lecturer, published an article in summer 2016 in the international journal, Prior Learning Assessment Inside Out titled RED CARS: Portfolio Assessment of Experiential Learning as Critical Inquiry. Click Here to Learn More.
- Multiple faculty from GSC co-authored and recently published an article in the spring 2016 edition of the NH Journal of Education, titled Enhancing Online Learning to Include Every Learner, Every Day. Congratulations go out to Tammy Carnevale, Kelly Clark, and Julie Moser.
Steve Covello, GSC’s Rich Media Specialist and online instructor, made a keynote presentation for the University of Wisconsin System’s Virtual Showcase on April 5, 2016. The presentation entitled “Rich Media in Teaching and Learning: What is it and how can you use it right now?” is an extension of his work in promoting the use of non-text communication media in GSC’s online courses. Click Here to Learn More
- GSC Faculty member and Instructional Designer Erin Courville won 1st Place for the 2018 Remote Learner Idea-a-Thon. Learn more!
- Dennis Martino appeared on Concord News Radio (listen here). Dennis Martino is a Graduate Studies lecturer and recipient of the 2017 GSC Distinguished Faculty Award.
This year nine GSC faculty participated in the 7th Annual Academic Technology Institute (ATI) hosted at Plymouth State University. This year the ATI was held in conjunction with the recently launched USNH Open Education Initiative. Each faculty submitted a proposal for an Open Ed project to implement in one of their courses over the next few terms.
- Mark Jewell and Dennis Martino were awarded the 2017 Distinguished Faculty Award.
- GSC was included in an Inside Higher Ed article in June for its role in The University System of New Hampshire's yearlong open education initiative to promote affordable textbooks, collaboration and open-access publishing. This year's ATI Institute focused on the theme, and you can view a recording of the opening keynote by Robin DeRosa from Plymouth State University.
- GAIL POITRAST, Senior Lecturer at GSC, received her Doctorate in Education with a specialty in K-12 Leadership from New England College in Henniker, NH. Congrats, Dr. Poitrast!
- 10 FACULTY from Granite State College have been chosen as Ambassadors for 2016 ATI Institute. Follow #usnhshare on Twitter to join the conversation! Resources and initiatives explored include: SPARC, a global coalition dedicated to making Open the default to research and education; PressBooks, a tool to create print and ebooks; Hypothes.is, a collaborative annotation tool; openstax and Open Book Publishers, OER textbooks.
Monthly Matters Newsletter
- January 2019
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018