Distinguished Faculty Awards
Distinguished Faculty Award
The College is proud of its faculty. Each year up to two faculty members are selected to receive the College’s Distinguished Faculty Award and 10 faculty are selected to participate in the annual Academic Technology Institute (ATI).
The annual Distinguished Faculty Award has been awarded since 1985 and acknowledges faculty who have made outstanding contributions to the teaching/learning process at the College. In recognition of excellence in teaching, recipients exemplify this distinction through the sharing of knowledge in a challenging and supportive learning environment and by demonstrating and inspiring lifelong learning in their students.
2022 Distinguished Faculty Recipients
Carmen Frederico, M.B.A
Carmen Frederico is a dedicated and energetic member of our adjunct faculty community. Carmen holds an M.B.A. from Bentley College. Over the past nine years, Carmen has taught over 56 courses and 27 Independent Learning Agreements for our students. He continually goes above and beyond to meet the needs of his students by providing creative and engaging activities that ensure student success. Students consistently speak to his level of attention and responsiveness within online, face-to-face, and most recently, online hybrid courses.
Most recently, he contributed to the development of our new accounting minor within the Business program. He also helped to re-design ACCT511, Financial Accounting, to make the course more engaging and dynamic for our students. Carmen went the extra mile by contributing his own time to create unique Excel assignments for the class. The Excel worksheets created replaced assignments originally designed by textbook developers, saving the student additional textbook costs.
Carmen continues to be an asset to the Undergraduate team and more importantly, our students. His dedication to student success and teaching excellence is what makes him one of our recognized Distinguished Faculty for 2022.
Paula Shafer, M.S., PMP
Paula Shafer is a valued contributor and instructor for the M.S. in Project Management graduate program. She holds an M.S. in Computer Science from John Hopkins University and a PMP certification. Since 2013, Paula has taught a total of 40 classes within the graduate program. She has over 30 years of experience in Project Management and is always eager to share that knowledge with students.
Over the past seven years, Paula has been considered a “quiet gem” by her peers. She “doesn’t make a lot of noise” but makes a huge impact on our student’s success and experiences. Her students frequently provide positive feedback regarding the engagement and passion she brings to the subject at hand.
Paula has been an invaluable contributor to the early course design work and was part of the initial activities to ensure accreditation of the program by PMI’s Global Accreditation Center. She continually seeks ways to update the program to ensure that it stays consistent with current standards. She regularly participates in professional development to enhance her online teaching strategy, as well as acquire additional subject matter expertise in project management. Her commitment to our students and the program is why she has been selected as one of our Distinguished Faculty members for this year.
CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD
Criteria for the award emphasize a strong combination of the following characteristics:
- Excellence in teaching at the College
- Extraordinary responsiveness to individual student needs, both in supporting and in challenging individuals
- Demonstration of the faculty member’s own role as a lifelong learner
- A minimum of 5 academic years teaching* at the College *need not be consecutive years
- Service to the College (e.g., committee work, creating community connections, etc.)
Prior Distinguished Faculty Award Recipients
- 2021, Kelly Duggan
- 2020, John Gagnon and Gina Abudi
- 2019, Rita Kondrath and Marilyn McGair
- 2018, Elizabeth Gauffreau and Michael Zaino
- 2017, Mark Jewell and Dennis Martino
- 2016, Jonathan D. Kipp
- 2015, Faby Gagne
- 2014, Mary Beth McNicholas
- 2013, Christine Tate
- 2012, Daniel M. Gardoqui
- 2011, Craig D. Nevins
- 2010, Barbara Krol-Sinclair and Carrie Gendreau
- 2009, Kay Enwright and Audrey Kanik
- 2008, Fran Rancourt and James Trotzer
- 2007, Gail Poitrast and Claudia L. Michael
- 2006 Paul Carter and Daniel Poor
- 2005, Susan Dame and Beth Roth
- 2004, Bill Cuff and Barbara Benham
- 2003, Robert McPherson and Elizabeth Crockford
- 2002, Jeannemarie Thorpe and Natalie Golden
- 2001, Patricia Erwin-Ploog and Steve Hickoff
- 2000, Jennifer Kirk Savoie and Judith D. Salmon
- 1999, V. Arthur Hammon and Wendy Turner
- 1998, A. Thomas McGowan, Edward Gleason, and Ellie Marshall
- 1997, Patrick K. Gray and Nancy Puglisi
- 1996, R. Elizabeth Baird and Alan John Crowley
- 1995, Claude E. Caswell and Laura L. Nagy
- 1994, Lucia Baker Owen and Cathy Lasalle
- 1993, Phyllis Killam Abell and Ina Anderson
- 1992, Jane E. Raymond and Donald Sheehan
- 1991, Michael K. Hill and Charen Urban
- 1990, Barbara Oakley-Hayes and Elaine Millen
- 1989, Stephen S. McAllister and William S. Cooper, Jr.
- 1988, Carol G. Mooney, John W. Gibson and Michael Russell
- 1987, Richard A. Graf and Robert F. Swift
- 1986, Jane Walter and Stephen Lambert
- 1985, Alan H. David, Sr.